Hurricane Dorian has been announced by official weather sources to hit the east coast of Florida. To prepare yourself for the storm, here are some essential tips to follow when a hurricane approaches:
- Fill your bathtub or buckets with water in case your house water goes out, along with the electricity.
- Keep batteries and electronics charged, such as your phone and flashlight in case of a power outage.
- Bring all light-weighted materials such as clothing, empty boxes, chairs, and light tables and especially outdoor plants from your outdoor spaces to inside your home.
- Close, lock, and board up (if necessary) all doors and windows that lead to outside spaces with shutters or plywood.
- Unplug heavy electrical equipment such as televisions, small appliances and computers.
- Know where the closest emergency shelter is located if you unable to stay in a weak infrastructure
- Stay up to date through the radio (and only the radio) for updates from official sources. Phone service will most likely be unavailable at all during the storm.
- Stock up on food that you can eat without a fridge, stove, or microwave, such as sandwiches and fruit salads.
- Keep your car full of gas 2-3 days of when the storm is announced to hit at your home state or location. It will be difficult to find any open gas stations on the day before, days of, and days after the hurricane. Remember, some outside resources will be destroyed or disconnected from power.
And most importantly, keep yourself, family, friends and pets safe during this weather catastrophe.